Southwest Middle School and Southwest High School are the schools of choice for Houston students. This is the time in a student’s life that they start navigating the possibilities of college and careers, and our teachers are determined to provide them all the guidance they need to successfully achieve their goals after graduating from Southwest Schools. Small class sizes enable teachers to focus on individual needs and make sure students gain the skills they need now and for their future.
Southwest Middle School and High School offers numerous extracurricular activities for those students who maintain a 2.0 GPA or better.
- Fine Arts
- Arts & Crafts
- Music (Vocals, Keyboards & Band)
- Latin American Dance
- Middle School Boys and Girls Soccer
- Secondary Girls Volleyball
- College Tours
- Junior Achievement
- National Honor Society
- Naviance Career and College Planning
- Project GRAD
- Woods Project
Social Emotional Skill Development
- PLTW – Project Lead the Way
- POE – Principals of Engineering
- CIM – Computer Integrated Manufacturing
- GTT – Aerospace Engineering
- Robotics – Introduction to Engineering Design
- Jason Project
- Middle School SGO
- Secondary School SGO
Other Extra Curricular
- Chess Club – Middle and Secondary
- Youth Potential Development – Entrepreneurs
- Model Building
- Debate Club
- Sketch Club
- Cheerleading & Pep Squad
Special Instructional Programs
- Achieve 3000
- Study Island
- ST Math
- Rosetta Stone
The School’s mission is to promote career and college readiness for all students through meaningful relationships and meaningful work. Positive relationships between staff and students as well as between students themselves is accomplished through the following programs/philosophies:
- Capturing Kid’s Hearts – A collection of tools to build positive, trusting relationships which can transform the classroom and school environment.
- CHAMPS – Conversations; Help; Activities; Movement; Participation – A Safe & Civil Schools Proactive Approach to classroom management.
- E-Colors – Mentoring and Personal Intervention in communication strategies.
- Classroom Strategies – Differentiated Instruction; Cooperative Learning; Marzano’s 9 Essentials.
- Student & Parent Handbook – Our Policies and Procedures
When promoted through active monitoring, respectful interactions, and policy enforcement, students, parents, and teachers are all able to reap the tremendous benefits of our school of choice has to offer.